Monday, October 6, 2008

General Conference


Okay so trying to keep kids quiet during conference is a serious task and i didn't really hear all of the talks but i did want to comment on some of the wonderful things that i did hear. First of all, i have always loved Elder Dallin H. Oaks because he cracks me up!! he always picks topics that normal people would keep out of regular conversation for fear of offending someone, and then he just lets everyone have it, no candy coating, and i love it!!! When he told people to stop texting in church i almost busted up laughing, cause seriously, that has got to stop!! of course i would never come out and say it to anyone (except wayne), but since he did i don't mind saying that i agree!! Sacrament is a really scared time, and i thought he gave an excellent talk and made it clear what the Lord expects from his saints. I also loved Elder Joseph B. Wirthlins talk, when he told his crazy stories and said that we need to learn to laugh even when things seem bad. As much as i love to laugh i found that this talk really spoke to me as an individual. I laugh about dumb things but if things don't turn out the way i plan then my life is over and the world is coming to an end. I really think this is true with being a mom, i can either freak out everytime my kids make a mistake or i can laugh and enjoy this part of their life. So far in my life i have not encountered any mistakes that can't be fixed, so why stress? I always thought Sister Hinckley was a good example of this too, and i hope that one day i will be able to have this as a characteristic too. The third talk that i adored was of course President Monsons, he is such a great prophet and i loved how he focused on being happy and that to obtain happiness we need to focus on the important, and thus eternal things such as temple marriage, college, and serving missions. I think a lot of times i get caught up in silly frivolous things and forget what is truly important. Sorry didn't mean for this to turn into a self help blog, i just really love general conference and thought i would share what things touched me. And seeing as how i didn't get to hear all of the talks, i would love to hear some of your thoughts on conference as well!

4 comments:

Layne and Kelly Nelson said...

Amen to everything you said! I LOVE conference! It made me feel really good to hear all the talks about dealing with hard times and change and learning to roll with the punches. It made me keenly aware that a LOT of people have been affected by the decline in our economy and are struggling too (sometimes it feels like its just us). :)

Rachel said...

I loved Conference too!

PS: Glad we found each other again! I've missed you! Remember when you thought I was a ghost?

Tanya said...

I loved Conference too!
The talks were awesome! Soo much that I needed to hear. One of the many talks I liked was by Sis. Elaine S. Dalton. She talked about virtue, not being poisoned by degrees and raising your ensign to the world. I'm gonna make a FHE out of it. Talk about standards and virtues that we want to represent in our lives and raise our own yellow banner for the neighbors to see. I think we'll list them on our yellow banner. Gotta work out the details, but if it goes well, maybe I can use it for our Sharing Time assignment as well. ;)
It was good to see you again. The boys are soo cute!

Cindy Howard said...

I didn't know people text in church, it's new to me.
My favorite talk was President Monson's talk about finding joy. I loved it! I know I have so so much to be greatful for. It was nice that so many talks gave comfort.

 
Find More Free Custom Color Layouts at April Showers